Nonetheless, we do care about America and American politics, far more than most people realise. Average British Reader, I ask you: name two unsuccessful presidential candidates. Gore and Kerry, right? There you go. Now, let's talk about John Howard. Who? I'll give you a hint: he's been Prime Minister of Australia for five hundred years.
We might have learnt that you guys over there don't like to be told when we're scared, but at least some of us will still be following aught-eight closely.
Case in point: Hilary (woman) has decided to join the race, and she's on the cover of our newspapers- in point of fact, they're comparing her to Margeret Thatcher but it was the Telegraph so I don't think they meant to imply "heartless" or "senile". Hil Clinton is a pretty solid bet, but it's not because she's a Thatcher. She's an experienced politician, educated east-coaster, middle-of-the-road politically, and a skillfull opportunist. She offers what a lot of voters have been waiting for: a castrated Bill Clinton.
Admiral Roebuck: With all due respect, M, I think you don't have the balls for this job.
M: Maybe. But the advantage is, I don't have to think with them all the time.1
Being the idealist that I am, I was cheering on Russ Feingold (Jew), but now that he's out and Gore (nerd) is still kind of depressed about 2000, my support2 is now 100%3 behind Barack Obama (half-caste).
You know the sensation when you want to sneeze but can't? I've been sensing that sensation in discussions about Barack Obama. He's a contender for the Democrat nomination but without the money, name, or experience of Hilary. You're used to using the horse-racing metaphor for such campaigning. In that metaphor, Obama is the dark horse. There, I said it so that Carlos Mencia doesn't have to.
The problem, critics say, is that anyone who would vote for Obama is already going to vote Blue and he won't get any Red votes. Don't forget that great enemy of political idealism: pragmatism.
1). Astute readers will note that this is the second time I've used James Bond films to illustrate a discussion about gender roles, and therefore disregard anything I ever say again.
2). As I'm not an American citizen and therefore won't vote, my support is worth as much as the support of half of American voters.
3). Percentage determined by latest internet magics.
2 comments:
Entirely unrelated, but isn't half-caste quite a derogatory term? Did I imagine that?
Extremely, at least in my cultural millieu.
Post a Comment