Sunday, January 28, 2007

As long as I gaze on Waterloo Sunset, I am in paradise

I met my step-family from 8 years ago today. They're nice people; also, being French, they make excellent crepes.

But more importantly, a music update. On one of my last days in England, Nathan and I went to a pub after a tremendous trip to a forest ripe with bunny rabbits. As we sat outside drinking beer, a band began practicing Waterloo Sunset by The Kinks - quite well, I might add. When I returned to America, I realized that the song was my defining end of the journey song (much like Carry the Zero by Built to Spill was the Greece song, and The Greatest Adventure was Bilbo Baggins' song during his trip to the Lonely Mountain). This prompted two things: 1) I set about making mix cds for the last several years of my life and 2) I began furiously listening to The Kinks. Way to go, England. After acquiring Something Else by the Kinks and The Village Green Preservation Society, I decided that Ray Davies is a badass. This also led to a recent fling with The Zombies and The Clash. In case you were wondering (which you weren't), This Will be Our Year by The Zombies is my defining song of the new year and absolutely incredible.

But on to the point. While I do not have the mix here (as I am in Houston, TX with my father and co.), I intend to post my most memorable songs from last year. I think that it would be interesting for you to do the same. If you don't feel like it, I understand (but will hate you). It was enjoyable for me, and I therefore recommend it. Also, that pub trip day basically summed up everything I enjoyed about England.

1 comment:

Maxwell Edison said...

My predominant memory from Greece was Wish you were here by Pink Floyd.

Also, the Kinks kick ass - I've been telling people this for years but did they listen? DID THEY HELL!