Wednesday, March 14, 2007

The 'learn all of the capital cities of all of the countries in the world' challenge.

Pretty self explanatory. Why? Because then you can convince people how cool you are by telling them you know the capital city of every country in the world and then getting them to ask you.1

Rules:

1) Countries only. None of this dependent territories crap.
2) The unerring and unquestionable authority on this is Wikipedia.
3) Where at all possible, try to learn some kind of funny fact about the country/capital in question2.
4) Use your new found powers for good, not evil.

I'm as far as Andorra. Capital city: Andorra la vella. This is going to be well easy.

---

1. Failing that, if you ever need to be diagnosed as being autistic, this is a sure fire way.
2. For example, Astana (Capital of Kazakhstan) literally translates as "Capital City". Most people would tell you the capital city of Kazakhstan is Almaty, but they'd be wrong. It used to be, but they changed it to purpose built Astana. Probably because Almaty means something ridiculous about apples. ('Father apple', or 'The apple that provides for us'.)

11 comments:

Peter said...

I had to learn this for a course freshman year. Sadly, my strategy of fanatic cramming did not translate into long-term memory. DAMN YOU, LAZY SELF. DAMN YOU.

Maxwell Edison said...

Freshman course in Asperger's syndrome?

Nathan said...

My memory for junk like this, combined with my carnival of timidity and feng-shui* make me genuinely think I'm a little bit wrong in the head.

* The term I use for deep-seated unease when I think things like "Did I put the notes in my wallet the right way up?", then getting out of bed and rifling through my possessions in the dark to answer the question- yeah, I did, I always do.

Peter said...

One of my political sciences teachers decided that - unless you memorized the location of every state on Earth and their capital cities - you would be a political failure. Of course, Bush had already been elected president, proving that even a modest knowledge of geography was utterly unnecessary.

Maxwell Edison said...

Oh god, I thought we only had to learn one for USA, not all of the capitals of all of the states!

Nathan said...

The way I see it, adding every constituent par tof every bundesrublic going (Brazil, Nigeria, Switzerland) will make this go from "cool and crazy" to "stupid and crazy". They're dependent territories, OK. No way am I filling my brain with Juneau and Albany.

Washington, District of Columbia: Citizens of this city aren't part of a state and thus have no congressmen, meaning they are taxed without representation.

Maxwell Edison said...

Deal. Only real, bona-fide countries count.

Peter said...

D.C. has 3 representatives. It also has an entire local government and mayors that are heavily involved with the drug industry.

Charlie said...

Actually, DC has one congresswoman. They have 3 electors in the presidency, but until recently, had no vote in Congress. In exchange for the (heavily Democratic) district getting a vote, (heavily Republican) Utah will get an extra Representative.

As we all are aware, DC is not part of a state, hence is not part of the US nor deserving of any Senators.

Damn, it's been so long I forgot how to make links. So just imagine me linking to Stephen Colbert's interview with Eleanor Holmes Norton.

Charlie said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Charlie said...

http://www.comedycentral.com/motherload /?ml_video=84128