Sunday, July 22, 2007

Failure is just success rounded down


Today, as you certainly know, is Approximation to Pi day. It is a global day of celebration for anyone who's ever approximated π. That is to say, used π. (If you can explain why the terms 'used' and 'approximated' are synonymous in the case of pi, you are an Approximation To Pi Day King/Queen).

Why today? Well, because today is the 22nd of July, or 22/7- and 22 sevenths is a bit more than three- in fact, it's about 0.001 more than π.

But heck, AtπD isn't just for scientists, mathematicians and other people who argue on which of Euler's equation or Maxwell's Laws is more elegant. It's for everyone! Go on, bake a pie. Or something similar to a pie. Maybe something you can use in place of a pie.

Me, I've got some Cottage Pie and some Banana bread in the oven. I'm kinf od worried about the banana bread, actually. Since I have no idea how to make it, I googled it and took whatever Link One said as gospel. Let's just hope it wasn't hoaxrecipes.com. I guess time will show if my loaf turns out to be a twenty-two seven or an Alabama.

6 comments:

Charlie said...

My family has an amazing banana bread recipe. It's from a small Iowa farm town, and it was my favorite part of returning to see my Grandma each year when I was younger (I even preferred it to Christmas, but then I've always liked food). If you want, I could send it to you, but be warned, it uses the US system of measurements (by volume).

Nathan said...

The recipe I found was like that, which is why I refused to have any truck with their pecks, cups, rods and hogsheads and just guessed. The result was a bit too much banana and not enough bread, but it's become nicer now that it's had a chance to cool and solidy a bit.

So, um, yes please.

Charlie said...

I'll message you on facebook later tonight. I just wanted to make one other point, the first reason I was going to comment, but I forgot what it was, so you'll get it later. Do you have it so that you get notified when we comment on these, or was the timing just lucky?

Nathan said...

When I'm not working or moonlighting, I mostly hang out in a dirty dressing gown, beard bedraggled, refreshing the sites in my bookmark list in turn.

No, that's a lie. I get notifications.

Charlie said...

Oh, cause it sounds very similar to what I do when I have about 20 minutes until I need to go somewhere.

Now I feel like a social pariah.

Nathan said...

If it doesn't have an RSS feed, I probably don't read it. If it does, I read it within half an hour of someone hitting "submit".